* Formation : was / were + the (-ing) form of the verb.
* Usage : - an action which was going on during a certain time in the past.
- indicating that an action was going on at a time when another action took place.
*Words used with the tense : all (yesterday) - while - as - when - etc.
N.B.1_ WHILE and AS are followed by past continuous and the main verb in the past
WHEN is followed by past simple and the main verb in the past continuous.
* Put in the correct tense of the given verb:
1- I ( read ) a book when he came in.
* 1 was reading a book when he came in.
2- The sun ( shine ) when we ( go out ).
* The sun was shining when we went out.
3- When you ( come in), I ( write ).
* When you came in, 1 was writing.
4- I ( come in ) while he ( write ).
* I came in while he was writing.
5- It ( rain ) this morning when I ( get up ).
* It was raining this morning when I got up.
6- He ( work ) all day yesterday.
* He was working all day yesterday.
7- When 1 ( arrive ) at his house, he still ( sleep ).
* When I arrived at his house, he was still sleeping.
8- The boy ( jump off ) the tram while it ( move ).
* The boy .jumped off the tram while it was moving.
9- The fire still ( burn ) at six o'clock this morning.
* The fire was still burning at six o'clock this morning.
10- He ( walk ) across the bridge when his hat ( blow off).
* He was walking across the bridge when his hat blew off.